Counseling & Special Ed
Course No. ED478i, ED578i
This course is for educators seeking a deeper understanding of students with autism. It is specially tailored for educators who teach in the general education setting and want to understand and add to their toolbox so they can provide for the needs of their neurodiverse students. Special education teachers and support staff will also benefit from this course due to the significant growth in the field of autism, including changes in the diagnosis, interventions, inclusion, and acceptance.
Course topics include:
- An overview of autism.
- Exploring different aspects of the disorder.
- Practical strategies to support students in the school setting.
Specifically, you will learn how to ease anxiety, address executive function challenges, create sensory-friendly settings, increase student communication/socialization, as well as effectively intervene with behavioral challenges.
You can customize your assignments to match your circumstances. This course is appropriate for Pre-K through grade 12 teachers, administrators, support staff, and parents.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
- An understanding of the fundamentals of autism, including the components of an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) diagnosis, placements, programs, and supports in school/community settings.
- Addressed anxiety by learning strategies to create a calm and reassuring classroom.
- Discovered effective approaches to address executive function challenges in the classroom.
- An understanding of sensory sensitivities and how to mitigate sensory stress in the classroom.
- An understanding of how communication challenges impact socialization and identify strategies for support, both in interactions with adults and peers.
- Identified the five (5) most likely reasons that are not oppositional or defiant in nature that lead to behavioral struggles and identify strategies for responding to disruptive behavior in the classroom.
Text, The General Education Teacher’s Guide to Autism, is available from Amazon for about $30.