Course No. ED477o, ED577o
Students taking action through service-learning is an effective way of engaging students in community service with explicit learning objectives, preparation, and reflection that positively engage them in classroom activities. You will discover that service-learning is not just another objective to meet; it connects students between the service they provide and their academic coursework.
Research has shown that students participating in service-learning positively affect students' engagement, helping them better understand themselves in relation to others. You will find an increase in students' positive interactions with teachers and peers through group collaboration, increasing their critical thinking skills, classroom attendance, confidence, leadership skills, and more.
We have gathered ten exceptional non-profit organizations representing local, national, and international companies. They will discuss how their organizations have positively impacted children and their community and how you and your students can help them reach their goals through a service-learning project.
Nonprofit organizations participating are:
- 4 Paws for Ability. https://www.4pawsforability.org
- Compassionate Listening Project. https://www.compassionatelistening.org
- Earth Corps. https://www.earthcorps.org/volunteer/school-partnerships/
- Free2Luv. https://free2luv.org
- Giraffe Heroes Project https://www.giraffe.org
- H2O for Life https://www.h2oforlifeschools.org
- JRMD/YRWD – Youth in Reconstruction of a World in Destruction https://www.jrmd.org
- Kids for Peace https://kidsforpeaceglobal.org
- Rachel’s Challenge https://rachelschallenge.org
- Wolf Haven. https://wolfhaven.org/
This course is appropriate for teachers K-12.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
- Gained an understanding of the benefits of service-learning for students, teachers, and the community.
- Learned about the 5 strategies of service-learning.
- Learned about the 4 different types of service-learning.
- Created an environment where students develop leadership skills
- Developed a sense of social justice through the understanding of diverse cultures.
- Integrated student classroom learning with their community and beyond.
- Learned how to provide students with hands-on experience with real-world issues.
- Learned to develop a series of service-learning activities on planning, designing, and implementing a community-based project with their students.