Math & Science
Course No. MA401i, MA501i
Get a jump-start in teaching your elementary students the language of math. In this course, you will use evidence-based math practices that cover how to work with your students by implementing a math language that focuses on learning the essential functions of math to aid all students.
You will learn to identify the language functions of math standards and assignments
for your elementary classroom and how to identify mathematical, academic, and general language to support your K-5 students in mathematics. Increase your toolbox with tips, tricks, and tools that encompass evidence-based math practices to use in your classroom.
This course is appropriate for educators, coaches, and mentors working with grades K-5. No book is required.
Text: No text is required; all reading is online.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
Upon completion of this course, participants will:
- Learned how to identify a language function and explain why it is important.
- Learned how to identify language functions of math standards.
- Familiarized themselves with academic language and how it supports learning.
- Learned how to identify mathematical academic and general language to support students in the math classroom.
- Gained tips and tools to work with evidence-based math practices that teachers, coaches, and mentors can use in the classroom.