Course No. MA400G, MA500G
This course meets OSPI's STEM requirements.
(Formerly: MORE REAL WORLD MATH)
In the past, the teaching of mathematics has often been a skill-based, content-free experience. Yet, math is a fundamental component of much of our modern world and can be taught using real world problems, data, and examples. We see examples of real life math in business, the sciences and even when playing games and solving puzzles.
This course will take advantage of Internet resources in the use of real life math. By assessing resources on the web, we will begin to prepare a portfolio of both on-line and off-line classroom projects that can be used to teach math in your specific classroom. This course will introduce you to a vast array of ideas, many of which can be integrated into any classroom.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
- Improved their knowledge of math resources available on the Internet.
- Improved their level of experience navigating the Internet and using some of the applications.
- Expanded their knowledge of real life math applications that can be used in K-12 classrooms.
- Gained knowledge of basic mathematical research as seen in a variety of real internet applications.
- Developed an awareness of some of the issues and concerns associated with teaching real world math applications.
- Added to their repertoire of mathematical instructional strategies.