Health, PE & Coaching
Course No. PE401x, PE401x
What does a Standard’s Based Curriculum look like in the physical education classroom? This course was designed to assist K-12 educators to understand, develop and create their own standards based curriculum.
After exploring the definition and purpose of standards based curriculum this course will begin the process of designing a standards-based PE curriculum by developing goals that are based on a sound philosophy and reflect a teacher’s own beliefs and values.
During this course participants will also explore assessment and the importance of documenting how students in PE are progressing toward achieving the standards. When taking this course you will learn how to provide all students with opportunities to achieve their learning goals through challenging and motivating choices.
The required text, by Jacalyn Lund and Deborah Tannerhill, Standards-Based Physical Education Curriculum Development, Third edition, is available used from Amazon for about $54.00
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
- Become familiar with what a standards-based curriculum should look like.
- Learn how standards based grading differs from traditional grading.
- Have an understanding of how to build a quality physical education program.
- Have explored ways of evaluating and assessing their current physical education curriculum.
- Be able to understand the role of performance-based assessments.
- Identify the components of appropriate standards-based assessment.
- Have the opportunity to know what it means to suggest that a program “stands for something."
$54 for the required text purchased used from Amazon. It can be sold back to Amazon upon completion for about $35. The text is also available from other booksellers, and at some local and school libraries.