Course No. ED473v, ED573v
(Ths course is now closed. We are no longer accepting registrations for this course.)
Teaching can be difficult but is a joy when we as teachers see our hard work paying off in terms of student effort and achievement. In this course for teachers K-12, participants will view six zoom presentations designed to improve student engagement and outcomes. Topics covered in the zoom presentations and additional assignments include:
- Cognitive learning strategies.
- Culturally responsive teaching.
- Student self-respect.
- Reversing underachievement.
- Connecting with hard-to-reach youth.
Teachers will learn how to maintain balance throughout the process of helping their students to be more successful. All reading is online.
This course includes six (6) hours of Zoom presentations.
Dates and times are: Monday, June 28th – Wednesday, June 30th, 2021
- Each day there will be two 1 hour presentations.
- 1st presentation starts at 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- (A 15-minute break)
- 2nd presentation starts at 10:15 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
TOPICS COVERED ARE:
- Building A Toolbox of Cognitive Learning Strategies. By Patricia Dickenson.
- Culturally Responsive Teaching: Understanding Diverse Kids. By Chrysanthius Lathan.
- The Well-Balanced Teacher. By Suzanne Warner.
- Helping Kids Stand Up for Themselves. By Charity Staudenraus.
- Reversing Underachievement Class. By Michael Sedler.
- Connecting with Hard To Reach Students. By John Creger
This Zoom course will support educators K-12 in both in-person and remote teaching of their students.
NOTE: Students missing a live presentation may view the recorded version on this Padlet. Recorded and PowerPoint presentations will be made available within 24 hours of the Zoom session.
DOWNLOAD this important document on Zoom links, schedules, presenters, descriptions, participation, and bios.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
- Learned what the impact of exercise, nutrition, and sleep, have on teacher wellness.
- Reflected on the assumptions and insights made on cultural relativity.
- Learned how to apply strategies and reflect on a culturally responsive approach.
- Investigated the root causes of underachievement and share strategies that increase student success.
- Learned strategies on connecting with hard-to-reach students.
- Learned how to foster self-esteem in yourself and your students.
- Learned techniques which are most effective for students who underachieve.